Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Leaving Home

We are really getting down to the wire now, just 7 days until we leave and the reality of it is finally sinking in. I'm finding it quite difficult to talk about leaving my family for the month of August -- when people ask me how I feel I try to avoid the subject, it instantly brings me to tears. Stephanie had a really good cry last night, I tried so hard to be strong for her but I felt like my heart was being ripped apart. At times I question myself as a mother, how can I do this, how can I leave her for so long -- I know in my heart I have to be strong for the both of us and ultimately we will get through it. Then there is my best friend in the world, my husband Rob he commented about how quiet and lonely it will be while I am gone -- I had to leave the room. I just never realized how hard it's going to be to say good bye. I think once I board that plane I will cry all the way to Africa, even as I write this I am a blubbering mess of tears.

I want to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of the people who have opened their hearts to the children in the Nyamata region of Rwanda by becoming a child sponsor. I hope that some how our journey will be a window into the amazing hand up that their sponsorship will be providing. I have been sponsoring for the past 5 years and can't believe I will be meeting my own sponsored child. She will be no longer be just a picture on the wall, she will be a wonderful, beautiful, living, breathing little girl that I will be able to touch and feel the warmth of her skin when I hug her for the very first time. You see, because of her I will forever have a connection to Rwanda, I don't know what her life's story will be -- but I am blessed to be a part of it. Where she goes in life and ultimately ends up has yet to be determined, one thing I know for sure is that now she has so many possibilities that were once lost to her. That is ultimately the true gift of child sponsorship. I will leave you today with one of my favorite quotes.

Carol

"God is in the slums, in the cardboard boxes where the poor play house. God is in the silence of a mother who has infected her child with a virus that will end both their lives. God is in the cries heard under the rubble of war. God is in the debris of wasted opportunity and lives, and God is with us if we are with them." Bono