Monday, August 10, 2009

Meeting Ishimwe


Today Carol and I were off to Gihinga so that I could meet my little boy Ishimwe that I have been sponsoring for 4 years. Ishimwe is the first little boy I have ever sponsored in my life and I never in a million years thought I would get the opportunity to meet him. Today when I laid my eyes on him I fell madly in love and when he came up to me for a hug, I am pretty sure that I squeezed the stuffing out of him. I have never hugged so desperately a child that has meant so much to me in a split instant. My heart ached and I did not want to let go of him. I thought that I had prepared myself to meet him and apparently I did not. Carol and I were sent into a fairly large church where they promptly asked us to head up to the stage and sit in the white plastic chairs that they had set up. For the next hour or so, 284 children performed just for us, songs and traditional dances. The music,so hauntingly beautiful that it made the hair on the back of your neck stand up, and all the while you are trying to hold back the tears. The dance was so fluid and elegant and I know I felt like an idiot when one little girl came to me with her arms outstretched, wanting me to dance with her. I tried to follow her but there is no way on god's green earth that I can move elegantly, like an elephant maybe, but not elegantly. Now Carol on the other hand........WOW! Now I know what she does in her free time!

Afterwards, we got to go to Ishimwe's house and meet his little brother Nkurunziza and their grandmother. It is not a known story, but I believe it to be a sad one in that the boys are in their grandmothers care as both of their parents are dead. This is an all too familiar story. Grandma presented me with a beautiful hand woven basket that was filled with sorghum because it was a symbolic act of her telling me thank you for all that I had done. Once again I do not know why they thank us when it is me that is getting so much more out of it than they are. We had a wonderful afternoon in Gitarama at a great restaurant that John found for us. Carol and I have been "awe struck" by all of the firsts that we got to participate in today with those two little boys. Take a moment to read over the list and then reflect on all that you have and maybe take for granted:

-1st time in a car
-1st time out of the village
-1st time Nkurunziza saw his picture
-1st time that Ishimwe took a picture on a camera
-1st time in a restauraunt
-1st time in a "real" bathroom
-1st time trying to get soap out of a dispenser
-1st time using a hand dryer
-1st time having "fried" chicken
-1st time chewing gum

I am going to bed tonight with a song in my heart and a smile on my face, and a little bit of sadness for a boy I may never see again and great wonder as to where his life is going to lead him.

It was a good day because I was privileged to meet these children and share these firsts with them, I don't even sponsor them and yet today I fell in love and had my heart broken all at the same time. It was a good day because at the end of it all Vickie and I were able to give them a pregnant goat and 3 chickens all for $30.00 bucks! We shared an experience with these two precious little boys that time and distance can never take away. These special moments when you look into the eyes of a child and realize this is the first time he has ever seen himself or chewed a piece of gum are so profound and private, your heart just swells and at that very instant of pure joy, your heart is shattered by the shear injustice that has been thrust upon them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome day you had...I am not sure I am more jealous of him getting hugs and not me, or missing out on your experience!

I love you
Bruce